We are seeking to appoint a
Lay Minister (children and families)
Our parish has two centres, St Eanswythe’s Altona and St Clement’s Altona Meadows, both of which have active and committed worshipping congregations. Both centres have established playgroups (on Tuesday and Friday mornings, during school terms) catering mainly to families with no other connection to the church. Both centres also have a children’s program during the main Sunday service.
This position is part of a fresh focus on the potential for mission which our playgroups offer, in particular by developing pathways to faith and belonging in the church which will be appropriate to offer to families. This is likely to involve, among other things, some new activities and an intentional investment in relationships. There are also a group of children (across both worship centres) in the upper primary/lower secondary age range for whom a more intentional ministry now needs to take shape.
The position is for 2.5 days (19 hours) per week, with exact working days and hours to be negotiated.
- join and support the playgroup teams in continuing our existing activities
- build relationships with playgroup children, parents and grandparents
- develop activities which can provide a pathway to faith for playgroup families
- join and support the existing Sunday School teams
- meet regularly with the Vicar and leaders of children’s ministries
- join in the parish’s weekly Sunday worship, including occasional preaching
- work with older children and their families to discern the shape of a ministry with and for them
- be responsible for child safety and professional standards compliance in the parish, as the named Child Safety Officer
Skills, qualifications and experience required:
- a committed Christian faith, and a willingness to talk about faith
- good interpersonal relationships and ability to establish new relationships
- familiarity and comfort with online tools for building community and relationships, including email and social media, and with computer-based administration
- previous experience ideal in children’s/family ministry, including use of music, storytelling, and/or drama
- understanding of Anglican Church an advantage
- current Working With Children card and national Police Check
The successful applicant would be required to obtain a Clearance for Ministry from Kooyoora, the Professional Standards agency of the Diocese of Melbourne.
Remuneration is according to the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne Stipend Determination No.34 (October 2019) for Authorised Stipendiary Lay Ministers. This is reviewed annually.
For further information please contact the Vicar, the Rev’d Chris Lancaster, on 0423 199 850 or email@example.com. Applications (including cover letter, CV, and the names of two referees) close on 6 March 2020.
Click on the thumbnail below for a printable (PDF) version of this information.